I was debating whether or not to call this ‘mashed cauliflower’ or ‘mashed potato cauliflower.’ Honestly, this tastes so similar to mashed potatoes its scary but, I thought I’d give all the credit to cauliflower because it needs some time to shine. If you’re looking for a sneaky way to get vegetables in (besides starchy ones,) this is it. I even like this better than really heavy mashed potatoes, it’s creamy and lighter! Here’s the original recipe.
Yield: 4 servings
Time: 25 mins
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into small pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 can low sodium chicken broth (about 14 ounce)
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley
- Combine the chopped cauliflower, garlic and chicken broth in a large saucepan (I used a le creuset skillet,) if the broth doesn’t cover the cauliflower, add a bit of water to cover
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low, simmering until the cauliflower is fork tender (about 15 mins)
- Drain cauliflower and garlic, setting 2 tbsp of broth aside
- Mash by hand or use a food processor (I just used a blender) until smooth, adding broth if more moisture is needed
- Add salt and pepper to taste, chives, and parsley, then serve hot!
- Vitamin C is packed into cauliflower (1 serving contains 77% of your daily value)
- It helps with detoxification and digestion due to it’s fiber
- Sulforaphane has been found to improve blood pressure and the function of your kidneys